If you are researching for a project, building a business or giving a speech, I cannot think of a better cloud computing software system than Evernote. Evernote has grown in popularity for good reason. It captures the essence of cloud computing:
- Access data from anywhere
- Input data from anywhere
- Use any connected device
- Quick access
- Quick input
The convenience of dumping information into Evernote from your computers, mobile device and browsers helps to drive your productivity.
If you recorded your notes, highlights, bookmarks and thoughts in paper notebooks, you have the following problems:
- It’s hard to share the information with others
- You don’t have it with you at all times
- You can’t search on your written notes
- It’s easy to lose
- It takes a lot to organize
Paper notes were good for its time before Evernote. Today, we can use the power of this tool for collecting and organizing information efficiently.
Here are the ways I use Evernote to capture research information:
- Clip articles and web pages. This can be done from your web browser. I use the Google Chrome extension for clipping to Evernote. As I find content online, I clip these and assign it to the respective notebook I have set up for the project I am working on.
- Set up notebooks. Be sure your notebooks are set up to correspond with your active projects. This will keep all of your content organized for easy access. You can easily search to find any content, however, using structure within the file system will help to keep your information visually together.
- Use dictation. If you are on a Mac or with your PC, you can download a desktop client. This has the ability to record from your computer’s microphone and add it as a note for you.
- Scan documents directly. If you are dealing with paper, you can scan these pieces of information and tag it along with comments that are keyword rich. My recommendation is the Fujitsu ScanSnap.
- Upload phone snapshots. With your iPhone or Android, download the respective app for your device. You will find a snapshot function. You can quickly take a picture and upload it to one of your notebooks. Be sure to add a description that is keyword rich for easy searching later.
The raw materials for supporting your project will be in one place and you can build clarity and log valuable material within your own Evernote system.
It is easy to search for content later using the browser search interface or your desktop or mobile device. Your information is with you wherever you are. It frees up your mind from having to remember details.
How could this system work for your productivity? If you are using Evernote, what tips do you have for research?