Compound interest is one of the most powerful forces in the universe, as Einstein remarked. What happens when you take the long way instead of looking for shortcuts? One day, you wake up with momentum, assets and a life trajectory that is hard for anyone to match without doing the hard work.
Daily execution means showing up every day and investing in the things that will position you for continued success and growth. Here are some things I focus on daily:
- Writing. It is my favorite activity and where I can share my thoughts with the world or for myself. Writing positions and builds the biggest assets of my business – thought leadership.
- Reading. We don’t know it all. Learning from those that have gone before us is a continually amazing experience. For a few bucks and a simple download to my Kindle, I can engage my mind with new strategies, ideas and worldviews. I change as a person from reading. It is one of the single most important activities to do every day in order to grow.
- Connecting. Whether online via social media or lunch with business colleagues, there is a wealth of knowledge, motivation and fun with friends. Every day, there is something to do that can make a difference for someone else. It makes a difference for me to be looking and acting for someone else. Think about others and provide value in precise and generous ways.
- Running. To detach and work my body and give my mind a break is something I rely on for motivation and endurance. I get a lot of perspective, peace of mind and restful nights from daily, consistent running. It’s one of the gifts in life that keeps on giving the older I get and the more I take on in my pursuits. I like what a friend says, “Break a sweat every day.”
- Family. I love my wife and kids. They keep me young and are the reason for working hard every day. They inspire me. Spending time with them and investing my own heart into their lives builds strength in our family and for each other. We laugh a lot together and enjoy great adventures. Being together is one of the most refreshing things in life for me.
All of these daily activities requires intentionality and hard work. There are no shortcuts. With years of daily habits behind me, I can see the rewards of deep relationships, flourishing business and vibrant health. The compound interest of the investments build upon themselves all from a commitment of daily execution.
What can you work on the next year every day that would make a difference for yourself or your business?