Anyone scaling businesses knows that building teams is highly challenging. You can have the best laid plans but the wrong people in the wrong seats will make any of your intentions elusive, much less achievable.
We are working on defining the lanes individuals run in using a matrixed approach around responsibility. It can get confusing when you are doing someone else’s job. Here are the fallouts for undisciplined collaboration and execution:
- People waste other people’s time that do not need to be involved
- There’s no consistency to achieving outcomes
- Individuals can hide and not be accountable
- The right consequences or rewards are not ascribed to the right role
- Morale weakens over time as your team works harder with less efficiency
Narrowing lanes and defining responsibility may slow things down from using charisma or adrenaline pumping to get things done. However, the right responsibility makes problem solving easier. One owner for one task.
Perhaps it’s time to work on clarity over speed. Build a chart and get everyone clear on who owns what. It allows you to lead and allows everyone on a team to execute towards the simplest, straightest path.